This Text Feature Mini Unit was designed for my special education students (and is currently being used throughout my school with Tier 2, Tier 3, and ELL/ESL students).
This design structure helps students make visual connections with the RI 1.5 literacy skills through Picture Symbol Text Support. This visual structure has been very successful with students who require that additional visual support for making connections and understanding concepts. It includes the text feature image, definition, and purpose. The language has been simplified and allows for consistent academic language needed to learn these skills.
Modified Version (uses Picture Symbol Text Support):
Regular Version (without Picture Symbol Text Support):
You can cut out the 3 different sections (image, definition, purpose) and have them match the image to the definition, or purpose, or all three, depending on their skill level.
Additional practice / Literacy Center playing a Concentration/Memory Game:
Text Feature Short Passage Worksheets to practice identifying text features within the text:
A close look at a worksheet:
Text Feature Practice within a Short Book 4 page book (shortened & modified)
Treasures Grade 1 (Unit 2: Week 2)
Book: From Wheat to Bread Story
A closer look at a page from the book:
RI.1.5 Mini Unit Includes:
– I Can Statement
– Academic Vocabulary & Text Feature Vocabulary with Visuals
– Question Stems/Reader’s Responses
– Modified/Simplified Question Stems/Reader’s Responses
– Large Visuals of 15 Text Features
– Single Sheet Text Feature Reference Page (with text feature names)
– Single Sheet Text Feature Reference Page (only visuals without text feature names)
– Concentration/Memory Set (Picture Card Set & Word Card Set)
– 2 Differentiated Versions of the Text Feature Literacy Skill which includes: Image, Definition, Purpose
** Version 1: Modified Version (Picture Symbol Text Support)
** Version 2: Regular version (No Picture Symbol Text Support – ONLY words)
(You can cut out the 3 different sections (image, definition, purpose) and have them match the image to the definition, or purpose, or all three, depending on their skill level).
– 3 Text Feature Short Passage Worksheets (identifying text features within the text) using multiple choice options and visual supports
– 4 page Short Text Feature Book From Wheat to Bread (Treasures Grade 1) that has been shortened & modified using Picture Symbol Text Support and added text features on each page
Purchase this product @ TeachersPayTeachers